Sorry

  Sorry but my writing muse has been curled up in a fetal position for the past couple months. A few of you probably know why but for the re...

Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Today is the day!

7/8 I was up too long in the middle of the night, wanted to get up at 6 AM, slept until 7:45! Crap! Packed up everything since I had to leave my suitcases, cash, etc. at the hotel. 3 S's, headed down for breakfast - only 2 cups of coffee for me. :( Went upstairs and brought everything down, duffle, pack & luggage to store at the desk. Check out, pay my beer tab, etc. TrekkingHero picked us up at 10:30. Gabriel drove us and all the porters (8). Three and a half hours on the road with one stop for lunch; saw bananas on the tree for the first time.

Bananas by the bunch
Little 'beer garden' where
G & I had our box lunch


Unloading all the gear

Neighborhood raven at the trailhead













Stopped at the gate to pay the fee then it's a long drive up to the trailhead to unload & distribute the gear. Porters are only allowed to carry 20 kilos on their head but whatever else on their back. I could not have done what they did for 7 days. Met a young couple (Angel & Benjamin) from Switzerland. They had been speaking French so I had to ask - Geneva area, he grew up in Neuchatel. They are moving to north New Jersey now that the pandemic is loosening up the world. She works for a pharma company & knew of McKesson. He is a mechanical engineer and had worked in a number of places but was very familiar with Charmilles EDM machines (company I used to work for.) We headed out ahead of them but they soon caught up and passed us.

Cloudy, foggy, damp, and drippy - I was sweating like a pig. Made it to camp in good time. Had tea then supper around 7 PM. Now it's dark, time for rest, and pack lighter tomorrow! 52°F/85% RH.

First night camp
Back along the trail


Yep, foggy/cloudy



Our mess hall


1 comment:

  1. Continuing to enjoy yourtravelogue. Did you happen to exchange any contact info with the couple moving to NJ? I know a little about EDM Machines....aren't they they coolest thing!?

    ReplyDelete