Sorry

  Sorry but my writing muse has been curled up in a fetal position for the past couple months. A few of you probably know why but for the re...

Thursday, August 19, 2021

Strike for the peak

7/13 Who needs sleep?

Sunrise, almost to the summit
My personal porter, 
thanks, I needed that


This is how far left to go - just a little
ways, yeah, right

Finally, and yes it counts!











About midnight (after getting up and ready at about 11 PM of the 12th) we started out. Since it had, by this time, that I am the weakest link when it comes to hiking speed, NGomu and Gordon went on ahead and I was rewarded with my own personal 'summit porter' to carry my pack. His name is Haji, very cheerful and friendly young man. 

It is DARK at night here. The stars were utterly beautiful; the sky was clear. It was a little cold and windy but I had my winter coat unzipped not too long into the hike. This trail almost kicked my butt completely. OCG (Oswald's nickname) was very patient with me and full of encouragement. "Twende, poli-poli." (Haba, haba) He kept checking how I was feeling (watching for altitude sickness - which I never had, merely out of breath) and kept the pace slow enough for me. We had made it most of the way up to Gillman's Point when the sun rose over the clouds which were below us. (At that time, I found out later, Gordon & NGomu were at the taller part of the rim, Uruhu.) We met them heading back down before I had made it to the top. Yes, I admit, I am slow and most probably not quite in the best of shape for this endeavor. I knew it would be a 'reach' from the get-go. On the way up I slipped and hit my soccer-injury knee on a large rock outcrop. 

The trail up was mostly 45-100% grade and consisted of loose gravel, mud, frozen mud, and snow with rocks towards the top. To me, the way down was worse. I skidded on some loose sand/gravel and really wrenched my right (the bad one) knee which I had banged up earlier. Just a strain or sprain but now my speed dropped even more. 

Got back to camp about 1:45 PM (remember that I've had no where near enough sleep for the past two days) and we had a rest. I crashed until they woke me up at about 3 PM. Camp was broken and we headed to Horombo. (The porters are amazing the way they balance up to 20 kilos on their head and who knows how much on their backs and walk away at full speed.)

Gordon, NGomu and I had headed out and once the porters were all on their way Oswald caught up to us. That allowed G & G to head out at their own pace and Oswald was stuck with me. (It was good for Gordon as he was cold walking at my pace - he did not pack enough warm layers, and I had too many.) I found out later that G & G got into camp about 7:30 PM, which would be very dark already. They were past by the porters who had dropped their load and headed back to help Oswald and me. The met us at about 8 PM or so. By then I had slipped a couple more times, same knee, and I knew I would not be able to make the distance of the final day. OCG had asked earlier about that since he knew there was a 'rescue' vehicle which could take people from Horombo to the gate that could be called in by the rangers. We got into Horombo at about 10 PM. Whew!

Back to Kibo Hut on the way to Horombo

Mawanzi

Me heading to Horombo, about 6 miles away

Goodbye Kili!


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Jim, knew you could do it, we were all pulling for you!!

    Norm Palmer

    ReplyDelete