Sorry

  Sorry but my writing muse has been curled up in a fetal position for the past couple months. A few of you probably know why but for the re...

Thursday, July 29, 2021

The run-up

 5 July - Very cloudy, Kili is socked in, no view, only the plane landing. Had a beer and a burger in BOL (Addis Ababa airport) then a little nap before the flight. Had a 1 hour and 45 minute layover on Zanzibar so I got to finish my movie since we weren't allowed off the plane. More people got off than got back on so it was a very empty 787-8. I ate too much this day, carbo-loading for the hike, lol.

The landing at JRO (Kilimanjaro Airport) was mostly clear and mild temperatures. Glad I filled out all my Visa & C-19 test stuff online - and the health form - just a little faster through the lines. I'm still negative on C-19. A guy from San Diego behind me in line was suprised that I was going to climb the mountain, he asked me how far up I was going. I replied, "No further than the top." I crack me up. 

Got 'blind-sided' for a 'tip' - guy quickly put my bags on a cart, walked less than 25', put them through the x-ray and then back on the cart. He wanted $3 US (6900 TZSH) I had no ones so I gave him 20 SAR - way over the line. Live and learn.

Driver was 'right' outside the door with my name spelled correctly (Ali). He had me go around the car to the left-hand side then I realized that was why he was to the right of the exit as I came out. In TZ they drive on the left side of the road so when you cross you look right THEN left, I was just instinct for me to look to the left, not see my name, then look to the right.

On to the hotel (4 star Moshi style) from the airport is about a 3/4 hour drive. Wow, lots of lush farmland with crops growing everywhere. I didn't take as many pics as I should have. The traffic, while wild, is not quite as scary as KSA. Tuk-tuks, 125-250 cc motorcycles (with three, driver, one on the back part of the saddle and the third on the luggage rack), assorted trucks, vans, cars, etc. Hotel is just off a dirt road, still pretty nice.

Had Kilimanjaro pointed out to me a couple times, once on the road and again at the rooftop restaurant. It looked a smallish cloud within the clouds but you still could make it out. All checked in at KWH, "2nd" floor room, very nice. Had steak and a couple beers for dinner. Met a couple (Peter & Annette) from Frankfort, Germany. He was familiar with Michigan (MSU) and Vermont. He had learned about making maple syrup and milking cows in the Waterbury/Stowe area.

Early to bed, had some really weird dreams.

Cloud in the clouds
Close-up a little easier to see
Outside my window



No comments:

Post a Comment