Sorry

  Sorry but my writing muse has been curled up in a fetal position for the past couple months. A few of you probably know why but for the re...

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

If anything can go wrong...

In the first blog post one might draw the conclusion that, with all the things that seemed to 'go wrong', someone or some thing didn't want me to get this job. Well I'm here to say that the little 'signs' didn't let up.

First thing that happened is I got a travel code from someone I had not been in contact with before. Now I knew that I needed to get a one way flight to attend orientation on Monday for a flight out on Monday night. However, the code was for a round-trip and the travel agency couldn't change that. A few phone calls & emails latter we got that straightened out - and they also set up the onward travel to KSA.

Next thing was to send off my passport to get the KSA travel visa. The UPS drop box is just outside the chiropractor office so I killed two birds with one stone as it were. I did notice that there was a dearth of supplies in the box to send things with such as those plastic stick on holders for the label I had printed out and I used the last one. When I got back home I called the UPS phone number and after getting through their horrible help line menu I spoke with a nice person who promised to pass on the info. To their credit, I got a call from the woman in Lansing who was a supervisor for the driver who covered that area and she assured me that the box would be restocked the next day and when I went back a couple days later, sure enough, there was a complete stock of envelopes and everything.

Tracking the package, it was delivered on time. All is well with the world. Late the next day I got an email that UPS was going to deliver it back to me on Thursday. Thursday comes and goes, tracking isn't much help. I forward an email to my contact at work and we decide that we'd wait until Friday. Of course it does NOT show up. Now full scale panic sets in once more. Tracking says the thing hasn't left NJ. Almost an hour and a half on the phone and no good news. I'm talking with the supervisor and she says that NJ doesn't answer her calls (I asked her where she was and admitted that my guess of the Philippines was correct). I know that if I don't have the passport with the KSA visa I am not going to be allowed on the airplane. My HR contact has also spent quite a bit of time on the phone to UPS and didn't get any further (I had emailed an update to all interested parties). Finally, at about 11 p.m., I get a notice that the package is somewhere in KY. Long story short, I did receive it Saturday morning at about 10:30. With itinerary in hand, I'm ready to head out on Sunday.

Speaking of omens, I took the puppers to the bark park on Friday (once I knew that I was not getting any package). They were extremely excited and enjoyed running around even if there were no other dogs, there were plenty of 'social posts' to check and re-mark upon. When I drove into the dooryard there was a hawk right near our door and it flew up on to the railing. Unfortunately the hawk flew off before I could get a picture. Don't know if that was a good sign or a bad one. Let's hope it is a good omen.

Saturday I print out my boarding passes and notice that I don't have TSA Pre-check listed for some reason. I have had this since sometime in 2012 and I signed up for a 'life-time' traveler designation since I was over a certain age. Still haven't figured out what happened, it has always been automatic.

I'm all packed Saturday evening but I notice I don't seem to have as full suitcases as I did the last time I packed to go away for a year. Sunday morning I nick myself while shaving - I never do that. Hmmm.

OK, get on the plane fine after the struggle through security. (Why don't I 'feel' safer?) Flights are on time and except for the total lack of seat comfort I land in NH. I thought I'd drive down to MA, get some dinner and a beer or two. No such luck. I didn't make it in to the hotel until about 10:30 p.m. All restaurants close (there is only the one) at 11 so no seating, McDonalds is dark, finally found a Wendy's with just the drive through open. Stopped in at the nearby gas station to pick up a beer and was informed that they can't sell after 8:00 p.m. on a Sunday. Not an auspicious evening.

OK, Monday morning, bright and early, get to Raytheon - can't find the door I'm supposed to enter. Even the woman at the reception desk didn't know where I was supposed to get in. Again with the hasty phone calls, finally in the building just about 10 til 8 - with no breakfast and no coffee! Things are not going well for me. Made it through all the presentations, got my badge, talk a little more with my contacts about what's next - especially since medical is different for deployed workers. I'm feeling like things are going to be OK. So, off I drive to Boston. Thought I'd get a little time to look around before my 10 p.m. flight. That was kind of a mistake. As per the norm, traffic was very bad in the city and there was no place to park - not that I was looking for anything special, just wanted to stretch my legs. OK, head to Logan.

To be continued...


1 comment: